For different kind metal cutting tools, the blades are different and have different characteristics. As shown in “picture 1”, many tools have multi-blades and complex shape. Take turning tools for instance.
1. Composition of blade of turning tools
Blade of turning tools is consist of front blade face, back main blade face, back vice blade face, main cutting blade, vice cutting blade, and nose of tool(picture 2)
(1) Front face: face that cutting chip pass through
(2) Back main face: impact to surface of workpiece
(3) Back vice cutting blade: impact to surface of workpiece
(4) Main cutting blade: intersection line between front face and back main face
(5) Vise cutting blade: intersection line between from face and back vice face.
(6) Nose of tool: intersection point between main cutting lade and vice cutting blade.
1. Main angles of cutting parts of turning tool
(1) Auxiliary face to measure angle of turning tools
In order to confirm and measure geometrical angle of turning tool, we need to choose three auxiliary base face, these three auxiliary faces are: cutting face, base face and orthogonal face, as above picture show.
A. Cutting face Ps
B. Base face Pr
C. Orthogonal face P0